يتم التشغيل بواسطة Blogger.
RSS

So you think you may want a Briard puppy? looking for A Briard breeder? learn more about this captivating french sheepdog first!


Briard with ballBriard puppies are extremely cute, and Briard adults are lovely. It’s easy to fall in love with the Briard on appearance alone. But there is a complex dog behind the appearance. Responsible Briard breeders want to be sure the complete Briard is the right breed for you, and that is what this site is all about. Wonderful as they are, Briards are NOT right for every home.
I am a Briard breeder, and I occasionally have Briard puppies for sale. I want those puppies to go into homes that know what is involved in living with a Briard (or Briards!). I want to help prospective Briard homes find ethical, caring, experienced Briard breeders who will have the best Briard puppy (or adult) for them.
On this web site you will find information about Briards - appearance, personality, health issues, grooming, living with Briards, etc. If you think a Briard is the right new family member, let's talk! And if you already know the joy of living with Briards, enjoy your visit, and let me know how I can improve this site.
My name is Jeanne Lorang, and I am Lebec Briards. Along with detailed information about the Briard, you will find information on me, my Briards, and my litters. Temperament and health are of prime importance to me, along with the beauty and type that make the Briard a very special dog. Litters are carefully planned, and information about the sire, dam and puppies is provided. For information on current and planned litters I value the Briard most as a companion and family member, and look for homes that will do the same.
I hope this site will help you decide if this is the breed for you. Meet some Briards, learn about these marvelous dogs, and enjoy your visit! Please come back often.


Liza - Ch. Tango's after the Ball, CGC, CD, TDI

One day a very nice lady named Jerry came to visit Jeanne in Lebec, and said she couldn't wait to retire, because then she could have her very own Briard. Jeanne, being no fool and having a house full of Briards, offered to lend her one on weekends until that retirement age. Jerry started with Caesar, and took him to obedience every weekend (Jerry is president of the Hollywood Dog Obedience Club), and to Starbucks with the group afterwards. Caesar got to go on vacation to Montana with Jerry in a tiny little mini Cooper, and enjoyed his excursions and all the small potential bait dogs at obedience. Unfortunately, Jerry's parrots weren't that fond of Caesar's obsession with feathered things in cages. Next, Jeanne said to Jerry, why don't you take Liza? She knows things. Liza has lived a varied life. She was born in Lebec, lived in Oregon with Laurie Beck, and then came back to Lebec for breeding. Liza is a cuddler, a total people dog, and an excellent mother to her pups. Laurie taught Liza the basics of "things", like heeling, fetching, jumps, etc. Jerry took Liza home, and to obedience, and came back with the look of a woman who had found her Briard. Liza came back with the look of a Briard who knows she has found a really good thing, and was determined to keep it. Her own person with a private lap, her own car, NO SHARING! Just a few parrots, easily ignored. Every Friday for months, Jerry would come get Liza, and every Sunday, Liza would reluctantly come back to Lebec. When retirement day came, Liza celebrated more than Jerry! And she couldn't wait to pack her bags and move south, returning once for a litter of pups, with many visits from Mom Jerry.
Since that day a year ago, Liza (and Jerry) have done a lot together. Liza easily earned her CGC and CD (with one first place and two second places in Novice B), passed her Herding Instinct Test, obtained her TDI certification, and has her first CDX leg. They have traveled, and made friends wherever they go. But those accomplishments are not what Jerry is most proud of. It's Liza's work as a Therapy dog that really gives them both a chance to make a difference. Therapy dog work is a lot harder than it looks, for dog and handler. It takes a rock steady disposition, manners and training, a true love of people, and a large time commitment. Several Briards are active as therapy dogs, including Tillie (OH), and Chivas (PA).

Here is Jerry's description of a day at the hospital.

 
Liza just finished her hospital visit. It
was interesting as usual. I'm truly amazed at Liza's ability and willingness to go to each of the patients and staff and she makes SUCH and impression on everyone she meets. We got up early this morning for a bath and blow dry of course - just for the occasion.
The first floor we visit is always the geriatric psych ward, Liza's favorite. There are 2 large rooms where we visit. The first room is a large day room with chairs around the perimeter of the room. Liza goes to each and every chair to visit the patients. Several patients usually want her to come back to them for a second 'go' and Liza is willing to accommodate. She tolerates fingers run through the strands of hair on her ears, again and again and again while I'm like a broken record telling people about her.... you know the questions... again and again.
The second room in the same ward is the 'music and activities' room. The patients in this room are usually a bit more...., how should I say.... weird (?)... remember it's a psych ward. Today there were 6 patients; 3 of which were in wheelchairs, sitting around a table making formations with blocks; one 'sleeping' patient in a bed; and 2 more in wheelchairs on opposite ends of the room. Liza went right to the first patient in a wheelchair. One of the ladies at the table with the blocks complained loudly and wanted to know why there was a dog in the room and who was I and why was I there. The nurse explained. She kept grumbling and was very gruff. All of the patients just looked down and shook their heads. Liza visited all of the other patients, all the while the gruff lady complained.
We got to an elderly Asian man in a wheelchair who did not speak any English. He motioned for me to bring Liza over and instead of petting her he grabbed her leash and wouldn't let go. He motioned for me to move away but I held on to the end of the leash. I eventually had to quietly pry the man's hand off Liza's leash. All the while Liza was perfectly calm and didn't fuss, she 'knew'. I was so proud of her. Liza returned to one of the ladies at the table with the blocks and the gruff lady continued her complaining. The nurse caught my glance and rolled her eyes. Finally I just took Liza over to the grumpy lady and had her sit next to her. The lady turned and looked at Liza and barked "what is she doing there". I told her she had come to visit her and the lady just scowled at me. A couple of minutes later the lady asked me her name. Then she asked me my name, which no one ever seems to do, they always want to know the dog's name. The nurse rolled her eyes and looked skyward. All of a sudden the grumpy lady reached down and started petting Liza and Liza snuggled up to her. The lady asked me Liza's name again. I told her she was named after Liza Minneli and the lady started talking pleasantly to Liza and everyone else in the room. She thanked Liza for coming, thanked me by name for coming, and told me how nice it was that we had come. When Liza and I left the room, the lady called after us both by name to say good bye. We had gotten through to her and had made a difference.
On another floor I went to a room of an elderly woman patient whose daughter was visiting her. The daughter asked if I could make a point of coming back to the room because her mother was in the middle of respiratory therapy. We visited the rest of the floor and returned to the room and both the daughter and her mom were just thrilled with Liza. The daughter asked me about Liza's history and her becoming a Therapy Dog and why we do what we do. I explained that my obedience club had several Therapy Dogs who visited that hospital. She was so interested she said she wanted my contact information because her son is a producer for CNN and he's always asking her to keep an eye out for special interest stories because that's what he produces. She said she thought Liza would be great in a story because she was so fascinating. She gave me her card and asked me to e-mail her, which, of course, I plan to do. As Liza and I were leaving the hospital, Elaine, the woman who mans the front desk in the lobby, stopped me and asked who organized our Therapy Dog group. I told her my friend Karen. Elaine said that she was the program chair of the hospital's auxiliary group and asked if we would do a presentation on Therapy Dogs at one of their luncheons later this spring. I gave her Karen's contact info and told her that I knew Karen had a power point presentation for the talk but Elaine wanted to make sure that Liza and I would also be there because Liza is so special and always seems to be smiling. Whether or not Liza actually ends up on CNN doesn't matter to me. The impression she makes on so many people at that hospital is worth everything to me." jerry
Jerry has agreed to let me try one more litter with Liza. It's a good thing she lives close, because I know she will be missing Liza desperately! Liza is in season now, and will be bred soon. More information is coming.
Ego and Blondie looking lovely
Turbo

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 التعليقات:

إرسال تعليق